IT'S BUY LOCAL OR BYE LOCAL IN 2019. Every January (and the other eleven months of the year) we are going to peck your heads about why it's so important to think LOCAL in the year ahead. #SorryNotSorry.
Here's 5 reasons as to why you should get out and support our independent scene this year. It's buy local or bye local.
1) You're Boosting Our Local Economy
If you're like us, and want to see Derry's independent scene continue to thrive and grow, shopping locally is KEY. When you shop local, you are helping OUR economy. Think of it as a little snowball effect. We spend money at our independent businesses, they then source their products / ingredients from other local businesses, the money being spent goes straight back into the community and ultimately this is what lets the community exist. For every £1.00 spent locally, up to 80% goes back into the local economy. We need to realise it's BUY local or BYE local.
2) You're Supporting Local People
When you decide to shop at an independent business, you're supporting a local person. Someone who works hard, someone who has a passion for what they do and will be forever grateful when you you choose their independent shop over the big high street stores. It is these small businesses that aren't in it for monetary reasons, they simply exist because the person behind it has a love for what they do and has worked hard to make it their job. You're guaranteed to leave our independents with a smile on your face and the odds of you returning to that place another time are high (we hope).
3) You're Helping Make Derry a Destination
Independent businesses are what makes one place differ to another. Go to any city in the UK and you'll find the same big brands every high street. These places get boring after a while. Why would you want to go sit in a McDonald's when you could do that in any other city in the world. People like to experience new places when they visit a city. By using our small businesses we are enabling them to succeed, which in turn means we are helping keep our LOCAL high street alive. A vibrant one full of little independent bars, eateries, cafes and quirky shops, places that give our city character. The more of these we have the more attractive the city becomes to those who don't live here.
4) Giving Other Entrepreneurs a Motive to Start Their Business If we create and support our independent scene and encourage people to use our think local, then surely this will be motivation for other budding entrepreneurs who have new ideas and plans to help our city grow. They might just need something to give them confidence, something that suggests small businesses in our city are doing well and can be successful. If we can do this through Independent Derry, then we are doing something right. We want to see independent businesses popping up all over our city and we want to se epeople using them. If this is the case, then others might just find the motive to start up their own business venture in the city too.
5) Shop Local = Get Rewarded with the Independent Derry Card
And finally, the fifth reason you should get out and support local in 2019 is the Independent Derry card. The card rewards YOU for shopping locally. Access over 60 discounts and offers at our independent businesses. From restaurants and coffee shops to boutiques and craft shops, you'll discover, support and love what our independents have to offer.
The list of places the card can be used is growing. When we first launched the card there were only 10 places on it. There are now almost 70! It makes sense to have a card if you're someone who uses our independent businesses on a regular basis. And if you don't use them much, the card is a great way to get you started!
You can buy an Independent Derry card online or via our app now. £15.00 - Valid for 1 year. That's less than 35p a week for some amazing discounts! Download the app here. The best way to easily view our independents and the discounts available to cardholders. #IndependentDerry #SupportLocal X