Yes its that time of year, time to celebrate love for one day only. Some people enjoy the cringe worthy day, others on the other hand, hate it (the singletons). We have come to the conclusion that there are 3 behaviours people take on on this ever growing commercialised day;
1. The 'I'm forever alone' attitude - where an individual decides to feel extremely sorry on themselves because they are single.
2. 'The bragger' - the person who makes sure everyone knows about their Rolex watch, their luxurious night away and uploads umpteen photographs of their never ending gifts onto social media.
3. And the 'love birds' - this is self explanatory, you can expect a lot of PDA (public displays of affection), soppy posts (or poems) declaring their love for each other, and maybe even a surprise engagement.
Anyways, moving swiftly on, we are more interested in what's going on around our independents. We've put together some Valentines day suggestions to help you plan your romantic day / evening. Warning - no Rolex watches included here.
1. The Limeleaf Cafe - 10% off everyday with your card. On Sunday 11th of February, the Limeleaf Cafe in association with Ventuuris, are hosting a vintage afternoon tea. A dainty afternoon where you and your plus one can enjoy delicious scones, sandwiches, sweet treats and sip on tea / coffee. A Sunday well spent. Tickets £20pp, last few remaining.
2. Sass & Halo - 10% off everyday with your card (excl bridal orders) Here's a gift idea for the woman in your life. An alternative to buying your other half a bunch of flowers, why not get them a flower crown instead. Maybe one made of roses if you're feeling extra romantic. Crowns can be made to meet your requests and will make your lady feel extra special.
3. Spaghetti Junction - 15% off food bill with your card (excl earlybird). If any culture or food cuisine screams romance its got to be Italian. And Spaghetti Junction is the perfect setting to get you feeling all loved up. They will be running their early bird menu 5-7pm and some delicious specials all night. Once you’re at your table, gazing into each other’s eyes over heaping plates of spaghetti, you’ll need something to say in Italian. We recommend saying "Dammi un bacio" which means "gis' a kiss."
4. Bella Mia Boutique - 10% off of Mon-Thurs with your card
If you want to go that one step further this valentines day, and buy something more than a box of heart shaped chocolates, look no further. Bella Mia Boutique on Ferryquay Street stock a selection of designer handbags. jewellery, watches and more. Or maybe you'll spot a pressie in their very own jewellery range. All beautifully wrapped in Bella Mia packaging which means you don't have to go the bother of wrapping your gifts (one less thing to worry about). If you purchase on Mon12th, Tues 13th or Wed 14th Feb you will receive a free rose with every £50 spent.
5. Cedar Lebanese - 10% off Wednesday's with your card Small and intimate. A restaurant that will make you feel as though you have been transported to the middle east and are dining in someones front room. The intimacy of this restaurant will be sure to make your evening feel special, these guys will be hosting love games on the night whilst you enjoy their traditional Lebanese 4 course meal at £30.00 pp (BYOW).
6. Timber Quay Restaurant - 2 cocktails for £10.00 with your card Some fine dining along the river front, quite the romantic setting if we do say so ourselves. Timber Quay are running 2 delicious courses for £15.95 or 3 even delicious-er (we made that word up) courses for £17.95, and they also make a damn good Strawberry Daiquiri too.
7. Pop-Riot - 10% off everyday with your card Pop-Riot have gone all romantic and created a beautiful window display for the big day itself with the help of Hand Made Paper Garden. 'Young love; springs to mind when we think of Pop-Riot, they have selection of love heart products in store especially for the 14th of Feb. The place to go if you're a guy crushing over his first ever valentine and need some gift ideas.
8. D Cooley Jewellers - 10% off everyday with your card If you are that person who goes all out on Valentines Day and likes to impress your other half with some sparkle, or pop the question, D Cooley Jewellers will always have the perfect gift for doing so. A range of stunning jewellery and watches including their very own history of Derry range.
And if you're single, reading this blog and finding none of it appeals to you, Tinder is always worth a go we suppose.
... Check out our website for full card listings. The Independent Derry Card is £15.00, valid for 1 year and means you can receive discounts and offers in over 55 independents citywide. Your card awaits you here... #IndependentDerry #SupportLocal X