5 reasons to keep things local, and use your Independent Derry card whilst you're at it.
We launched the Independent Derry card over a year ago now. Since doing so, we have had a massive amount of positive feedback and reactions from the people of Derry. We are chuffed that so many of you got behind the idea and are supporting local businesses using your Independent Derry Cards.
This write up is all about why keeping things local when you are out and about in our city is the way to go, and why getting yourself an Independent Derry Card is a GREAT idea.
1) You're helping give Derry's economy a boost
If you're like us, and want to see Derry continue to thrive and grow, shopping locally is KEY. This is why we introduced the card, to encourage people to spend their money in our local businesses. When you shop locally, you are helping boost our economy. It's like a little snowball effect. We spend money in our independent businesses, the business owners source their products / ingredients from other local businesses, the money being spent goes straight back into the community and ultimately this is what lets the community exist. If we didn't have these independent businesses, lets face it, there wouldn't really be much else there.
2) You're supporting the local people who own these businesses
When you use your Independent Derry card and shop in an independent business, you're supporting someone who is more than likely just like yourself. Someone with a family, someone who works hard, someone who has a passion for what they do and will be forever greatful when you decide to stop by their small business over the big corporate ones.
It is these kinds of independent businesses that aren't in it for monetary reasons, they simply exist because the person behind it has a love for what they do. You're guaranteed to leave with a smile on your face and the odds of you returning again are high (we hope).
3) You're helping make Derry a destination
Independent businesses are what make one place differ to another. You can go to almost every city in the UK and you'll find the same old large organisations on every high street, and these places get boring after a while. Why would you want to go sit in a McDonald's when you could probably do that when you are at home, or in any other city in the world for that matter. People like to experience new places when they visit a city, and by using our local businesses and enabling them to succeed, we are creating an independent scene. A vibrant one full of bars, eateries, cafes, quirky shops and more. Places that give our city character, making it an attractive place to those who don't live here.
4) Giving other entrepreneurs a motive to start their business It's quite simple. The more people we have using local businesses every day, the more we are helping them to succeed, and this could result in an other entrepreneurs having the confidence to come forward and startup in Derry. Entrepreneurs need something to give them inspiration and confidence, something that suggests small businesses in our city are doing well and can be successful. If we can encourage this through Independent Derry, then we are doing something right. We want to see independent businesses popping up all over our city rather than seeing them disappear because national chains and larger businesses are pushing them out of the way. Again, this all relates back to thinking local and shopping local, then our local people might just find the motive to do what they love and begin their business journey too.
5) The Independent Derry card means you get discounts & offers
And finally, the fifth reason why you should shop local and own an Independent Derry card...
The card means you can receive discounts and offers in over 50 independent businesses around our city. From coffee shops and eateries to gift shops and theatre, you can reward yourself for shopping local.
The list of places the card can be used is always growing and so it makes sense to keep one in your purse or wallet if you're someone who uses our independent businesses on a regular basis.
If you don't shop local all that much, well, we are about to enter a new year. And as the saying goes 'new year, new me' and all that... time to make shopping locally your new years resolution. Having an Independent Derry card will make that resolution easier to achieve.
You can buy an Independent Derry card online, or they are available to buy at RoCo Hair, The Pickled Duck Cafe, Guildhall Taphouse, St Jude Eatery, Yellowmoon Clothing or the Tourist Information Centre - £15.00, Valid for 1 year, that's less than £1.50 a month for over 50 rewards.
BUY MY CARD. Merry Christmas & a happy new year from Independent Derry.